All-Time Top-Selling EV Models and Brands in the US – Model 3 and Tesla Dominate

Anyone following the auto industry and transition toward electric vehicles is well aware of Tesla’s sales success. But with the US launch of the Model 3 in June 2017, the Silicon Valley company has dominated the US EV sales charts.

Automakers % of EV sales 2010-March 2019

Through March of 2019 and using data from the InsideEVs Sales Scorecard, Tesla has accounted for 32.2% of all electric vehicle sales in the US. General Motors is a distant second at 17.8% share of total EV sales. The two automakers combined have accounted for 50% of sales. By the end of 2019, I expect Tesla’s all-time share of US EV sales to reach 35%.

EV Email Newsletter Opt-in
All OEMs EV Sales 2010-March 2019

With sales of an estimated 382,573 EVs since 2010, Tesla has sold more than 170,000 electric vehicles in the US than General Motors and 240,000 more than Nissan, which only sells one model, the LEAF BEV. Five automakers (Tesla, GM, Nissan, Ford and Toyota) have accounted for 79% of EV sales.

The Tesla Model 3 passed the Chevrolet Volt in Q1 2019 as the all-time, top-selling EV in the US. Tesla also has 2 of the top 5 models, and by the end of 2019 the Model S should rise to the all-time number 2 spot.

The Nissan LEAF, which in Q1 2019 became the first electric vehicle to sell more than 400,000 units globally, with 132,227 units is now the 4th highest-selling EV all time in the US. If you combine the Toyota Prius PHV and Prime PHEV models, it slides into the 5th spot. If kept separate, then the Tesla Model X would be 5th.

Seven of the top 11 best selling EV are BEVs and four are PHEVs.

One thought on “All-Time Top-Selling EV Models and Brands in the US – Model 3 and Tesla Dominate

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.