In a few years when EVs start to become more mainstream, being normal and just being viewed as another car will be a good thing. But for the near term, and in markets where EVs are primarily only being purchased by “early adopters,” EV models have to stand out and be differentiated in a fairly significant way to see exceptional sales.
Through March of 2019 and using data from the InsideEVs Sales Scorecard, Tesla has accounted for 32% of all electric vehicles in the US. General Motors is a distant second at 18% share of total EV sales. The two automakers combined have accounted for 50% of sales.
GM’s November 2018 announcement that they would end production of the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid (PHEV) and the made in China Cadillac CT6 PHEV (at least for the US market), generated a firestorm of articles, speculation and comments around the future of the plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. EV owners, advocates and analysts tend to be […]
Sales of electric vehicles in the US have tended to be a fairly equal mishmash of BEV‘s versus PHEV‘s with neither powertrain dominating the sales charts – until deliveries of the Tesla Model 3 started to scale in Q2 of 2018. In January 2018 the mix of BEV versus PHEV sales was split at almost […]
The Pareto principle, commonly referred to as the “80/20 rule,” is alive and well with the US EV sales numbers. The Pareto principle says that “for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.” More broadly, the principle simply means that a minority of causes lead to the majority of […]
Since 2011 through projected model upgrades for 2019, automakers will have increased the battery range of their BEV models an average of 38 miles each upgrade – a cumulative 15% increase on average per year. These are two key findings from new EVAdoption analysis. With battery prices continuing to decline at a steady rate I […]
August & YTD US EV Sales Trends: Hot = Model 3, BMW 530e, Honda Clarity PHEV; Not = Bolt, Fusion Energi & BMW i3
While the growth in deliveries of the Tesla Model 3 is grabbing all the headlines, there are 41 other EV‘s available in the US – a few of which are showing some less obvious, yet still interesting sales trends. Last month I focused analysis on the top 10 EVs in the US, but this month […]
By my analysis and tracking, more than 60 new electric vehicles are expected to be available in the US between now and 2023. But which, if any of these, will sell in significant volumes, which I defined as 5,000 units or more per month in the article The Next High-Volume Selling EVs: Ford Escape PHEV […]
With sales of an estimated 14,000+ units in July and 6,000+ in May and June for the Tesla Model 3, the much talked about EV has now moved into the top sales ranks of all cars in the US, and not just EVs. This sales volume of the Model 3 in comparison to all other […]
Do electric vehicles reach peak sales volume after only a few years? Yes, based on my new analysis of top-selling EVs. If we look at the bar chart and table below for 11 top selling EVs from 2011 through 2017, the models for sale at least 3 full years, all have had their peak year […]